In the aftermath of a disaster, VACS will continue to operate, but its main focus will likely turn to rescuing, catching, collecting and caring for animals that may have been abandoned or lost in the event.
If the Pound & Adoption Facility is not usable or beyond its operational capabilities, a temporary Pound will be set up in a neighbourhood park or alternate building.
To assist us in preparing for a disaster, we are requesting donations from the public & businesses of new or used, equipment and materials. Donated items must be clean and fully functional.
The following items and materials are needed:
- Portable cat and dog crates/carriers (hard plastic Vari-kennels or similar)
- Leashes, collars, harnesses (cat & dog)
- Stainless steel food/water bowls
- Hand Tools:
- sledge hammer, handsaws, hammers, manual staple guns, screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches
- tarps, rope, shovels, 25-50 foot long extension cords, 5-gallon plastic buckets, bolt cutters
- Folding tables / folding chairs
- Pencil posts (8 feet long)
- Roll wire fencing (4 - 6 feet high)
- 4X8 sheets of plywood
- 2X4's (8 feet long)
- flashlights / camping lanterns
- microwave oven
- alcohol & propane camp stoves (Coleman type)
Materials will be stored and maintained in a secure shipping container until required in a disaster response.
Cash donations to buy equipment will also be accepted or specific requests of desired equipment can be provided.
Please do not bring items to the Pound. Call us first (250) 414-0233 - we will come to your residence at a convenient time to determine whether your donation can be used. Or, e-mail us photos of the item you would like to donate to email@example.com. Please don't be offended but we have to be choosy to ensure the item is suitable and useable.
We are working with the Victoria Emergency Management Agency (VEMA) in the development and organization of our Disaster Response Plan.
Thank you for your interest and support of this important community project.
Ian Fraser - Senior Animal Control Officer